Hitty discussion topics
If you are planning to read Hitty: Her First Hundred Years with your child or as part of a classroom assignment, it is highly recommended to have a list of topics ready to place the book into its historical context. This book occurs during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, so you might find these topic suggestion a good jumping-off point for contextual discussions and associated writing assignments.
- Write about the importance of the whaling industry in nineteenth-century America.
- Find an antique or other object that has a story connected with it. Tell the story of that object from its creation until you acquired it.
- Pretend to be a witness to a historical event. Write a first-person narrative about your view of that event.
- Discuss the role of abolitionists in the Civil War.
- Read and analyze some of John Greenleaf Whittier's poetry.
- Research changing fashions of the nineteenth-century. Create a paper doll to dress in your favourite fashion.